@Fest Food review: Kaiser Kartoffel at Village Green

Food review: Kaiser Kartoffel at Village Green

Village Green veteran Roger Kaiser owns and runs Kaiser Kartoffel, food stall he’s had for 22 years.  He is so comfortable on this turf that he starts interviewing me.

A rosti cut into small bites to accommodate all 9 sauces. Photo: Kelly Frielinghaus.

His popular homemade rosti recipe is “a secret” he says. All he can tell me is that it is made from potato, onion and herbs grated through a special machine. He says that running this food stall for so long has become tiring (now that he has retired), but he could not do it without the six extra pairs of hands he employs.

Roger Kaiser proudly holds his famous kartoffel rosti. Photo: Kelly Frielinghaus.

Kaiser and his wife are Grahamstown locals and B&B owners. He shares that his wife helps with preparation each night, and that their consistency is what makes them successful. I had seen the stall a few Festivals ago, but I was quite impressed with how many new sauces they have put on their menu now. There are nine scrumptious saucy toppings.

The olive tapenade was my favourite topping, because the saltiness of the rosti compliments the bitterness from the olives. For something really indulgent try the cheese and pepperdew topping. It is delicious.

Kaiser Kartoffel is a perfect snack to share, but I wouldn’t order it on its own simply because it does not feel like a well-rounded meal.

Kelly Frielinghaus
Cue Reporter